Thursday, August 21, 2008

We're Not in Kansas Anymore, Spencer

Yesterday I finally got my IR-converted Nikon D70s back from Lifepixel. Unfortunately, it either rained or was cloudy most of the day. That's not good for IR images. The only time I got out to try it out was to capture images in my front yard with my puppy. My front yard is not the most photogenic location!

This image is silly, I know. The sky was too cloudy. The light was a bit weak. But it is what it is. Just a test. Oh, and for Spencer to masquerade as Toto he'd have to be black!

5 comments:

Becky Meyers said...

that is SO cool!!!

Bobber said...

Can't you get the same effect with your software?

Jeff Meyers said...

Bob: No, you can't. People have tried, but you can always tell the difference between a faux PS-processed IR image and one that was taken with an IR converted sensor.

Wayne Larson said...

Is this a lens mounted filter like the Hoya r72? Or something else?

Jeff Meyers said...

No, it's not a lens-mounted filter. It's a converted camera body. Actually, they remove the "hot filter" that camera manufacturers put in front of the sensor to block the IR spectrum. They replace it with a custom IR filter. This link will help explain:

http://tinyurl.com/6y5uhj

I had an old Nikon D70s converted.