Friday, June 13, 2008

Doing the Rite of Communion Right

The Colloquium on the Sacraments went well this morning. A good time was had by all. You can find a copy of all the papers here. The title of my lecture was "Efficacy and Ritual Performance: How the Administration of the Sacraments Affects What They Actually Accomplish." Have at it. I'll try to post an audio version sometime soon.

BIG UPDATE:

Here are all four presentations in the order they were presented. The first one has the opening comments of the moderator and then Will Barker's presentation. Enjoy!

Will Barker's Presentation on the Reformation and puritan background (7.1mb mp3 file)

Rob Rayburn's presentation (6.7mb mp3 file).

Ligon Duncan's presentation (6.1mb mp3 file)

Jeff Meyers's presenation (7.9mb mp3 file).

Responses from each speaker and Q & A session.

14 comments:

Valerie (Kyriosity) said...

This was wonderful, Jeff. Thanks so much.

Ron Dodson said...

Great job today, Jeff. Good to finally shake your hand! -Ron

Richard Okimoto said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Richard Okimoto said...

Do you think the other talks will be made available, along with the responses and Q&A?

Jeff Meyers said...

Well, I got a copy of the raw audio on 3 CDs. I had to make them into mp3 files. I can do that, but not right now. Give me a little time and I'll have them up.

Ann Barlow said...

Can't wait for the responses and Q+A

Mark said...

I wish I could have been there, but having the audio is a great blessing. Thank you.

Unknown said...

Pastor Meyers,

Your presentation was fantastic and incredibly challenging. Thank you for your service in this task.

Jon

JATB said...

Jeff, I got the one-disc version which is in mp3 format. E-mail me if you'd like the file(s).

By the way the verification word I have to type in is "esuck." Is that a comment about us PC users?

Jeff Meyers said...

Well, almost everything about the official PCA website is nicely summed up with the word "esuck."

pdug said...

Thanks for posting these. I'm please to find Rob Rayburn agreeing with me that if warnings about (and worrying about the participation of children in) communion is so important, then it would stand to reason that the offering would be under the same stricture. But giving kids some money to put in the plate is an important part of their spiritual formation, I think.

Dr. J. Brandon Meeks said...

Jeff, are these talks available anywhere now? I would really like to hear them. thanks

Dr. J. Brandon Meeks said...

Are these available anywhere now?

Jeff Meyers said...

That's a good question. Send me your email and I'll see what I can do. Which ones are you interested in? Send to jeffmeyers [a] me.com